Tips for successful boat wrap application
Marine Fabricator | March 2012
By Dale Salamacha
Remove as much hardware (rub rail, trolling motor, etc.) as possible before applying the wrap.
Wash the boat before applying the film using these tips:
- Use a solvent-based cleaner, not alcohol-based, to thoroughly remove any wax residue on the boat. This will ensure the most thorough cleaning.
- Don’t use soaps or preparations that contain waxes, oils or lotions. This includes some window cleaners.
- Be aware that the chemicals used in some automated washing equipment can interfere with film adhesion.
- The front and rear of the boat typically have a more oily residue than other segments, so pay particular attention to cleaning these areas.
- Apply the wrap above the static water line.
- Use just one panel of film per side to avoid seams.
- Seal seams and edges with edge sealing tape.