Use a clear storage tote to hold and dispense zipper chain easily.
Zipper chain, sold in 100-yard lengths, is packaged on a cardboard sleeve that is hard to use and store.
Store zipper chain, with the cardboard sleeve removed, in a clear storage tote with a hole cut into the lid.
- Purchase 18-quart tote for application
- Drill one-inch hole in the top with a hole saw
- Put zipper chain, with cardboard sleeve still in place, into the tote
- Feed zipper from the inside of the coil through the hole in lid
- Snap the lid on and mark box for contents (#10 coil, #5 tooth)
- Be careful not to remove the cardboard sleeve before putting the zipper into the tote or you will end up with a 100 yard tangle of zipper that will never fit into the box.
- Do not try to feed the zipper from the outside of the coil or it will tangle about every six inches.
- This same process can be used for other goods, such as keder welt and bungee.
Keith Purves is owner of Riverside Covers in Ft. Myers, Fla.