The Green Boating section is live on DiscoverBoating.com. It includes fuel-saving ideas, a sneak peak into the latest “green” marine technologies and accessories, and a list of helpful green boating tips.
Quick tips for reducing fuel usage
- Slower speeds on the water reduce fuel usage.
- Proper use of trim tabs reduces drag, especially while accelerating to planing speeds.
- Minimize the amount of time that you idle.
- Use dock-side electrical power in lieu of on-board generators.
- Have a float plan so you know exactly where you’re going.
- Make sure the hull is clean.
- Don’t under-power your boat. It’s important you have enough motor to handle the load.
- Check your propeller. If your boat is slow “out of the hole” or lacks top-end speed, you might have the wrong propeller.
- A well-tuned engine uses less fuel.
- Use the grade of gasoline specified by the engine manufacturer.