Build a tangle-free cradle for binding and bungee.
Narrow goods, like binding, bungee and line, sold on spools, can be difficult to work with, and can tangle while working.
Build a simple cradle out of plastic or plywood to hold various size spools.
- Cut cradle pieces to the size and shape, as shown.
- Glue and clamp pieces together.
- Secure with screws.
- Use 5/16-inch threaded rod (available from hardware store) for the axle.
- Thread a nut and washer onto one end of the rod.
- Use a screw and washer to secure a small loop of bungee cord to hold axle in place.
- Measure various-sized spools, and adjust the cradle size to meet specific needs.
- Staple a piece of non-skid shelf liner to the bottom of the cradle to help keep it in place.
Keith Purves is the owner of Riverside Covers in Ft. Myers, Fla.
Send us a description and photos of a time-saving tool that you created from scratch in your shop. If it runs in the magazine, we’ll pay you $25. Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org.