How to register your business with the U.S government

Published On: January 1, 1970Categories: News

The federal government has three requirements that each business must fulfill before it can bid on a contract. It is critical to keep your passwords in a place where you can readily find them in the future.

  1. Your firm must have a Dunn & Bradstreet number. If you do not have one, call 866 705 5711 and ask for your number to do business with the government. There is no charge for this.
  2. Go to Business Partner and complete the central contractor registration (CCR). Save a copy of the completed registration because you are required to update this every year. Click on the SBA icon at the end of your registration to fill out your Dynamic Small Business Search profile and capabilities statement.
  3. Two days after completing the CCR, complete the online representations and certifications application (ORCA). This process will include data from the CCR. Save a copy of the completed ORCA because you are required to update this every year.

Register on FedBizOpps to receive emails about bids for your type of products based on the North American Industry Code System (NAICS), Federal Supply Class (FSC) and key words.

The CCR and ORCA registration is about to change with the new System for Award Management (SAM) process that started this year. This new system will integrate and have only one single SAM Login for CCR, ORCA and FBO.

Barb Ernster is a freelance writer based in Fridley, Minn.