Customize widths, eliminate clutter and save money by cutting Velctro strips.
Stocking all sizes, colors and styles of Velcro is costly and space prohibitive.
Make a simple Velcro slitter to customize 2-inch Velcro to any width. You can easily customize the Velcro into 1/2-inch, 1-inch and 1 1/2-inch strips by placing the razor blade in the appropriate slot. By making this simple, easy-to-use tool, you can eliminate the need to stock multiple sizes of Velcro.
- From 3/4-inch plastic or wood, cut three pieces 2-inches by 10-inches in size.
- For the base, cut three slots for single-edge razor blades at desired widths in one of the pieces.
- Attach the other two pieces to the sides with screws to form the rails.
- Add through-bolts from side to side in the center of the base to provide tension for the razor blades.
- Place the razor blades in the slots to cut the Velcro to your desired width.
- Start your cut with scissors and feed the Velcro into the slitter.
Keith Purves is owner of Riverside Covers in Ft. Myers, Fla.